Kiawah Island Golf Resort has announced a series of major projects that will further enhance the property’s world-class amenities. The resort, located on a barrier island 21 miles south of Charleston, S.C., has broken ground on the first stage of redevelopment, which will continue through the end of 2020 – in time to host the PGA Championship in May 2021.
The projects consist of:
- A new 150-room luxury beachfront hotel with dining, spa, retail and ballroom
- A new conference center featuring a 10,529-square-foot core meeting space and 11 breakout rooms totaling 3,815 square feet
- A new Cougar Point Clubhouse containing a full-service pro shop, a sports tavern, a bar and locker rooms
- A new villa check-in
- A new 150-seat chapel connected to The Sanctuary hotel
- Two new two-story, four-bedroom rental cottages adjacent to The Ocean Course Clubhouse
- Consolidation of all tennis programs at Roy Barth Tennis Center with 10 new Har-Tru HydroCourts and fully resurfaced existing courts, as well as the addition of locker rooms
- A completely reimagined and enhanced Night Heron Park, with a new Nature Center, Pavilion, other activities spaces and dining, including the relocation of The Town Center Market
“These developments mark an exciting chapter in Kiawah Island Golf Resort’s notable history,” said Kiawah Island Golf Resort President Roger Warren. “The developments will completely revitalize the West Beach area, which formed the nucleus of the resort when it was first developed in 1976, but it will also enhance and complement the world-class facilities, amenities and programs that Kiawah has been proud to offer its guests over the past decades.”
The West Beach Village buildings and The Ocean Course Cottages are designed by the world-renowned Robert A.M. Stern Architects of New York and New Haven. The Sanctuary Chapel and Night Heron Park projects are designed by architectural firm SMHa of Mount Pleasant, S.C. Interior design is by Kent Interior Design of Atlanta.
Located along 10 miles of pristine beach less than 30 miles south of Charleston, S.C., Kiawah Island Golf Resort is one of the country’s top resorts. It includes The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, a 255-room hotel and spa – and nearly 500 private villas and luxury homes, five golf courses, including The Ocean Course – host of the 1991 Ryder Cup, the 2012 PGA Championship and upcoming 2021 PGA Championship.
Feature photo: The Sanctuary (Kiawah Island Golf Resort)