Mexican authorities recently seized more than 10,000 gallons of tainted alcohol and opened an investigation into an illicit manufacturer who had allegedly been supplying numerous resorts, nightclubs and restaurants. In light of these findings, Allianz Global Assistance shares reminders of important alcohol consumption safeguards while traveling overseas.
“Whether staying at an all-inclusive resort, or an Airbnb within the city, staying alert and being prepared when traveling is vital,” said Kimberly Seay, RN, director of assistance at Allianz Global Assistance USA, and a former ER/Trauma nurse.
Seay recommends the following 10 tips for travelers to follow when consuming alcohol on vacation:
- Drink in moderation/limit alcohol usage
- Insist on watching your drink being made
- If you are suspicious of the color, then trust your instincts and – do not drink it
- Bottled or can beer does appear to be a safer option
- Insists that the beer is opened in your presence
- Buy your own alcohol at “duty free” and only drink what you brought, even if you are required to pay a “cork fee”
- Never, ever leave your drink unattended
- Be observant and aware of your surroundings
- If you do feel ill seek attention, don’t delay
- Call your travel insurance provider if you need help finding medical care, or if you are admitted to a hospital
While destinations cannot guarantee that tourists will remain 100 percent safe on their vacation due to unforeseen situations that can occur, Seay said it’s important that travelers remain vigilant, and take the necessary precautions before and during their trip.